Find us on facebook

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Goodbye R.E.M.

I had several ideas for new posts, but as usual, life got in the way....

"To our Fans and Friends: As R.E.M., and as lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of astonishment at all we have accomplished. To anyone who ever felt touched by our music, our deepest thanks for listening." R.E.M.

I cannot say I didn't expect it. "Collapse Into Now" was a clear goodbye message to all of us, their fans, and now the last chapter of an extraordinary career. It was kind of a final gift. I have been skipping the amazing "Blue", the last song of the album, because I was scared of hearing Michael's words, an obvious and personal, farewell. Anyone who knows me, or anyone that is following a bit this blog, must have an idea of how much I love R.E.M. They are my band. They will always be. They are a part of me.

Of course I respect, and kind of understand their decission.If they felt the time was right, then so be it. Me, I just renewed my Fanclub subscription because I felt it was the right thing to do. There will be more posts about them, about their songs and albums. About the memories shared with or thanks to them. But today I'm too devastated. I feel like I lost the closest, long-time friend. Although, of course, I know I'm not losing them. I know where to find them anytime I want.

Michael, Mike, Peter, and of course, Bill. Thanks for everything. Thanks for entering my life. You will never leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment