Find us on facebook

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

These Go to 11: Interviewing Wiggum

Fourth interview, and we go back to a musician, one to came from the cold (and imo from one of the best countries of the planet, Iceland, at least one where the word democracy has a real meaning) to join one of the most exciting indie-rock bands of the Spanish scene, Wiggum. These Go to 11!

Halldór Már Stefánsson, Wiggum
Halldór, man on fire
2013 for me is the year (hope it's just the first one & more will follow) of label El Genio Equivocado. And one of the first, most exciting discoveries among their roster has been this quartet from Barcelona. Formed in 2009, and with just two records, one has the feeling they should be on the verge of "becoming big". Otherwise it will be the confirmation this country is deaf (and dumb). Their sophomore album, "La Guerra Mundial", released this year, is a blast full of guitar-driven 90s alternative-rock anthems without losing their melodics talents (these intertwined harmonies). Halldór Már is 1/4 of the band, fuelling the combo with his vocals, guitars and contagious passion live. Here we go!

1. First record that you bought (be honest)
Honestly, I don’t remember. But it’s possible that it was a Duran Duran album...

Abba... glups (in different colours) 
2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!) 
First, must have been some local Icelandic group (Sugarcubes included) but I’m pretty sure that first international group I saw was Whitesnake! Last concert: Seeing Austin TV in The Arenal Festival.

3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
That would have to be ABBA or The Carpenters, but it’s not very embarrassing for me since I listen to a wide range of music.

4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
My made in U.S.A. Telecaster.
Mr. Vedder
5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
I’m always fascinated by The Beatles' “I Am The Walrus” and Bowie's “Space Oddity”. “Mother” by Lennon and “Blue Valentines” by Tom Waits make me cry but my favorite has to be Pink Floyd's “Wish You Were Here”.

6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
Eddie Vedder (again), David Bowie and, last but not least, Prince! Yet a supper with Tom Waits might be interesting...

7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
Surfer Rosa by The Pixies (these questions are hard!!)

8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both)
Comic: The Watchmen

9. Song (of yours) you are most proud of
I like to think that my best is yet to come but the first song I wrote for my debut album is somewhat special to me: "Twisted Minds".

10. What’s does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
Indie means being independent. Means you can do whatever, as they say in Spain, comes out of your balls. Not having to change anything for market reasons. It also means, in most cases, little money...

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
10 years older and hopefully still here.
Zillion thanks Halldór!

No comments:

Post a Comment