Find us on facebook

Thursday, October 2, 2014

These Go to 11: interviewing The Royal Landscaping Society

We know, it has been a while since our last interview. But we begin October in very good company. This week, we invite you to read one of the most funniest and honest interviews so far, thanks to the natural charm of Cris R.S. from The Royal Landscaping Society and Bubbletone Records. Granted some of you will return to your childhood and teenage memories, while enjoying his current music preferences. These Go to 11!

Cris R.S. Bubbletone, The Royal Landscaping Society
The pop landscapers
Our interviewed is a genuine multitask man, some sort of a Renaissance man dealing with pop. He is the leader and singer of The Royal Landscaping Society, a Seville-based and highly recommendable indiepop/shoegazing band that began its career in 2012. Like The Field Mice drowning in an ocean of guitars and caressed by an electronic breeze. The quartet has appeared on the Little Treasure compilation “Springtime!” and released a homonym first mini-album on Beko Disques in July. But fronting a band is not enough for Cris. He is also an intrinsic part of another group, Sundae. He is a reputed producer and also runs the Bubbletone label. Impressive, right? Here we go!
"Son, 80 días son. 80 nada más, para dar
la vuelta al mundo". Impossible to forget 
1. First record that you bought (be honest)
You're going to love this one: the OST to the 'Around the World in 80 Days' animation series by Mocedades!

2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
I'm not 100% sure if the first was my brother's post-punk-ish band (mid 80s) or Hombres G. As for the last, I'm afraid there's less and less gigs I enjoy around here, so it must be Indietracks!



The petrol station's Human League?
3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
I always think a lot of Camela's hits would be classics if recorded by Pet Shop Boys or The Human League. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of mainstream pop so I don't tend to get embarrassed by anything!

4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
Trembling Blue Stars' 'The Seven Autumn Flowers double 10" signed by Beth and Bobby - very precious from a personal point of view too actually!

5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
The Cure's 'Plainsong', particularly the ending gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it: 'Sometimes you make me feel like I'm living at the edge of the world / 'It's just the way I smile', you said.'

Captain "Good Vibrations"
6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
Robert Smith or Brian Wilson, but both options are a bit scary...

7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
Tricky one... Maybe The Field Mice's 'Missing the Moon' with the big yellow 57 on it. Or the original vinyl version of New Order's 'Lowlife' with the band name printed on tracing paper covering the picture.

Consolidated Life



8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both) 
I actually struggle to find time for both, so I end up watching series. So I'll just recommend Jorge Luis Borges' 'El Aleph' for reading, Billy Wilder's 'The Apartment' for movies and 'Community' for series.

9. Release (of yours) you are most proud of
I honestly don't know, I change my mind often. I'm extremely proud of how Sundae's 'Sólido-Líquido' instruments and layers unfold right up to the abrupt ending, but probably The RLS's 'Goodbye' is the one I said 'This is exactly what I've been wanting to do for years' after it was complete.

10. What’s does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
For me, it's politics eventually. It's commitment, honesty, and a willingness to put art before capitalism. It sounds a bit general but that's how I see it.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Still making music for sure. Wouldn't mind to make a living as a sound engineer either

Zillion thanks Cris!

No comments:

Post a Comment