Find us on facebook

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Indie Anthology 66: essential songs

The next chapter in our anthology is devoted to a now, again, extincted band that I was lucky enough to see during the last Primavera Sound. And a song devoted to a music legend (loved by this Blog), which unfortunately I'll never be able to see. Find you.... left of the dial!

Song: Alex Chilton
Artist: The Replacements
Year: 1987

Never been more than a very occasional fan of The Replacements. Love 'I Will Dare', 'Color Me Impressed', 'Left of the Dial' and a little bunch of alternative rock bullets. But they'll always have a place in the indie Olympus for me. Because Paul Westerberg and Co. penned the immense ' Alex Chilton', a wonderful homage to the lead singer, songwriter and soul of Big Star (and The Box Tops). 'Alex Chilton', the song, is one of these rare tunes that, no matter the place or situation, gives me goosebumps all over. The combination of the Replacements' trademark biting guitars, melodic lines and living euphoria (several times, very close to chaos) with a lyric that melts personal memories of youth with heartfelt lines on his music hero, still has to be beaten. And I can't even begin with the chorus without getting emotional. Killer.

Children by the million sing for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round
They sing "I'm in love. What's that song?
I'm in love with that song.
"

Watching The Replacements live playing 'Alex Chilton' past May was memorable. After many years, still in love, of course. I never travel far, without a little Big Star...

No comments:

Post a Comment