Find us on facebook

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

These Go to 11: interviewing Out Of Map Records

After interviewing The Birkins, we are decided to enhance the Blog's section again so here's a new and exciting one. This time we move to France (sadly just virtually) to meet a young label with a bright future ahead, run by lovely people, Out of Map Records. These Go to 11!

Muskeeters of indie...
Marie-Agnès Hallé & Rodolphe Binot, Out Of Map
Out of Map Records was created by Marie-Agnès Hallé with the help of Rodolphe Binot and Quentin Leclere, both from the promising band Nevski around 2010. It's the result of a brave but logical movement of Marie-Agnès after a long career in music industry during the last 15 years: cultural writer at her city's official website, Rouen (Normandy, France), runner of her own indie-pop radio show, quintessential part of a label run by a colleague.. Thanks to that intense task, she has met a lot of artists and musicians internationally, because she has had time also for being a touring manager. I Impressive, right? So after caring so much about music it was just natural for her to make the jump and run her own label. Like Nevski's debut EP, label's first release, exciting music awaits us, folks. Here we go!

1. First record that you bought (be honest)
Getting righteous!
Marie-Agnès: I grew up with many records around me at home, my dad was a teacher and an artist, drawing and a great guitarist. I could listen thanks to him many good vinyls. He loved Bernstein, Django Reinhardt, Simon & Garfunkel, The Bee Gees, The Beatles etc. I knew by heart West Side Story about 5 years old! I am born in 1973. As I had two older brothers who bought audio tapes, vinyls, then cds, I didn’t feel the need to buy records early.. I just had to pick one in the discography in the room next door ;) as far as I remember… I think that the first stuff I really bought on my own was in USA, where I travelled when I was 16 years and it was a tape of The Righteous Brothers. I realize now that I had in my childhood an extremely kitschy taste!
Rodolphe: A second hand copy of ‘In Utero’ by Nirvana, when I was 10 or 11. Fascinating.

80s Lolita asking for a cab ...
2. First and last concert you have attended (be honest too!)
MA:The first concert was when I was very young. It was Mozart’s 'Die Zauberflöte' opera. My grand-ma was violinist and brought me the love of classical music. The first really ‘pop’ concert was in Normandy where I am from, on holidays in Deauville in 1988, it was a Vanessa Paradis gig. I couldn’t tell you honestly if I enjoyed it because during the first song ‘Joe le taxi’, I collapsed. All I remember of this gig is receiving a big slap in the face from a volunteer firefighters to wake me up.
R: The first show I attended was the Pixies when they reunited in 2004. It was in a big arena, didn't see anything but it blew me away. The last one was a Nevski show three days ago, we played with 4 other bands. Nothing to be remembered.

Blame it on the MTV
3. Guilty pleasure (song/band you shouldn’t like but you do, yes, it’s the embarrassing question)
MA: Goodness Raül ! it is not embarrassing at all! I love this question! I have many many many answers and it will be a heartbreak feeling to pick one … If only i could make you a list! The Milli Vanilli and The Shaggs, worse music either but they bring me happiness (I cannot stop laughing listening to them.)
R: ‘Heart of Glass’ by Blondie. I don't know if it's embarrassing but I feel guilty for that anyway.

4. Most precious music item you own (collector mode on)
MA:There are two objects I cherish: a flexible disc of the Speech made by General Charles de Gaulle in september 1962. I really take care of this jewel. The second music item that I adore because it contains many symbols too is a vinyl of West Side Story from the sixties.
R: I’m not a collector but I like my classical music records, because they sound and look good. I also like my old and cheap guitar strap.

5. Favorite lyrics (not yours)
MA: Here comes again my kitschy side: I love the 'Trololo Song'. The amazing russian man, Eduard Khil, managed to sing with only some onomatopoeia lyrics 'yeyeyeye ho ho ho dadada ho heeeee' with his baritone voice. Gorgeous! This song stuck in my head, can drive me crazy for days, in singing the trololo song everywhere all day long. Originally, the lyrics, too hard for the soviet government were like that 'I'm riding my stallion on a prairie, so-and-so mustang, and my beloved Mary is thousand miles away knitting a stocking for me'.
R: ‘Desolation Row’ by Bob Dylan, the whole thing is amazing. I'd also mention the line ‘I hate people when they're not polite’ in Talking Heads' ‘Psycho Killer’.

The real rose of the 2nd Stones...
6. Musician/s you would like to meet (should be alive, for obvious reasons, but you can choose a dead one too)
MA: So those I would have dream to meet: Serge Gainsbourg, Lou Reed, Kevin Ayers, John Lennon and Claudine Longet (to ask her if she had really shooted Spider, her lover, in Aspen 1976.). These last years, I was wondering what kind of persons are Stuart Murdoch, Johnny Marr and Neil Hannon.
R: I'd drink some wine in the South of France with Kevin Ayers and John Squire. He’s the best pop guitarist I can think of.

In the head of Syd...
7. Favorite artwork album (not yours)
MA: My favorite artwork is the cover of 'This is Beaumont'. The picture, the name, the colours, all the elements fit in perfection with the music. When you read the songs titles on the back cover, 'Bacharach', 'Girls and Maths', 'Love is 1968', 'Hey Barbara', 'His London' etc... you yell ‘of course!’. The girlie-sixties picture on the album is elegant and charming, like the Blueboys Keith Girdler and Paul Stuart awesome compositions. The spirit of Sarah Records is in this artwork. 
R: ‘The Madcap Laughs’ by Syd Barrett, the cover perfectly reflects the mood of the album. And it looks good.

Let's dance with Liza!
8. Books or movies? Depending on your answer recommend us one (trick: you can choose both) 
MA: I read a lot, more than I listen to music… so it’s a hard job to pick one book. I’ll pick two in suffering: William Styron, ‘Sophie's Choice’ and Michel Houellebecq, ‘Les Particules élémentaires'. I choose them because I have read everything from the both writers. They deeply touch me. I don’t have any hesitation for the movie: 'West Side Story' in DVD! after that, a piece of french films from Godard, Truffaut, Audiard. Oh oui, and I have plan to watch 'Cabaret' with Liza Minelli these next days.
R: ‘Uranus’ by Marcel Aymé and Louis Aragon’s poetry.

9. Release (of yours) you are most proud of
MA: The Nevski EP we signed on Out of Map!!! Of course! The label was created five years ago and during all these years, I wanted this EP but I had to wait this long time after the musicians, studying all other the world. When they get finally in the studio, rehearsing and recording, it was in August but for me it was Christmas ! Now, the first album is already on its way, and Santa Claus is back!

10. What does it mean indie for you? (yes, the “serious question”)
MA: Well, oui, let’s be serious Raül. Indie means ‘independant’ for me and a spirit for the fans of indie, a beautiful club full of great strange people, like a family. An indie band or indie musician is the opposite of the product: they are able to decide, to say ‘no’ to a label and the music industry when they try to drive with only profit on mind. Indie bands don’t lose their pants. Indie fans share this way of thinking, like this air of freedom and help each other to form a Resistance.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 
MA: Where I am now, no matter the country, the city... I will surely be with the people I love, reading, painting, listening music, helping musicians who deserve attention. Somewhere on a sofa, (a bigger one in 10 years because after books and music, my third passion is chocolate) living the same ‘indie’ life.
R: Growing potatoes in Scotland.

                                                               Zillion thanks Marie-Agnès & Rodolphe, thanks Out Of Map!

No comments:

Post a Comment